CIY 001 - DO IT SWEET - COSTAL KARNATAKA KAI MITHAI ..
DIY(do it youself) is such a popular thing these days .. so we thought why not start a series of posts on the same concept but lets call it cook it yourself .
& how funny it is for me ..cook it yourself .. sounds no less of a punishment .
in no way on this earth i am ever gonno enjoy cooking .i just cook to survive ..
so just for your guys ..i am gonno try and cook but all quick & easy recipes from karnataka & bangalore obviously ..
so that you can COOK IT YOURSELF too ..
Frankly this whole series is an after thought ,i got all inspired to try out a sweet after my blog post on mysore pak , & that fine day only coconut was readily available at home & coconut being a staple of costal karnataka(to which i belong ) ..i thought it would be nice to try and do something with it.
So here goes my disaster story .. lol yea i really messed it up ;-) but not to worry i will give you guys tips as to how not to cook it like me.
This sweet dish is quite healthy since we dont use any ghee or white sugar.
WHAT YOU NEED
1. GRATED COCONUT ( I STARTED OUT TO GRATE ONE FULL COCONUT , BUT ONLY MANAGED TO DO A HALF )
2. 1 CUP LIQUID JAGGERY
3. DRY ROASTED GROUNDNUTS
4. CARDOMMOM (OPTIONAL)
1. ROAST AWAY YOUR GROUNDNUTS
2. TAKE THE GRATED COCONUT AND TURN IT JUST ONCE IN THE MIXY JUST TO MAKE IT FINE , MAKE SURE YOU DONT CHURN IT TOO MUCH MAKEING IT INTO PASTE
3. IF U ARE SUPER MAN OR WOMAN AT COOKING THEN SIMULTANEOUSLY START BOILING JAGGERY WITH VERY LITTLE WATER IN A THICK BOTTOM PAN ON LOW HEAT
4. WHEN THE JAGGERY STARTS TO GET STICKY ADD
GRATED COCONUT & GROUNDNUTS
5. NOW COMES THE DIFFICULT PART..START STIRRING YOUR MIX TILL IT STARTS TO SEPERATE FROM THE SIDES OF THE PAN AND GETS ALL STICK
6. TAKE A PLATE , GREASE IT WITH GHEE & POUR YOUR MIXTURE & LET IT COOL
YOUR COCONUTTY ...CHEWY ..BURFI (MITHAI) IS READY
this is how cooking channels & chefs explain & make it sound all simple dont they ?
but what about people like us .. cooking it yourself is a big deal yo..
i really messed this super simple recipe ..can you believe it ?
i added a bit too much water to the liquid jaggery because of which it did not get a sticky consistency . after frantic calls to my mother ..she vouched for the mithai & said it will get sticky ..keep saute ing ..& i kept saute ing till it turned dark brown..
then i thought its smelling smokey ..so i poured it into the plate.. one hour later it had turned rock solid..lol
well i poured milk on the rock & ate it somehow ..though my jaws hurt like hell...
Now you know what not to do ..go ahead cook it yourself costal karnataka sweet dish
If u do cook it yourself this holidays ..send us some too ;-)